Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Home Visit

Two days ago, my team was out on home visits and among many others, we met Paula M. Her house was a great place to stop because there was a wonderful breeze and so we stopped and gave our diarrhea survey. She seemed pretty sophisticated in her understanding of infectious disease and medicine. However, like everyone else, she believed that "mal de ojo" does cause diarrhea. I decided to visit her again for my home visit and learn about her and her family. My second visit with her was better than the first. She is such a generous and lovely woman. She has 9 children and 1 grandchild. Her family looks very happy and well taken care of. Although we needed a translator to communicate, I tried some of my bad Spanish on her and she was so patient with me. She was so generous with her time and her life stories. I had such a wonderful time talking to her. We talked about her family, her childhood, the history of the community, and her involvement in the community. The next day I saw her in clinic because she was accompanying her daughter and grandchild. We talked for a while and she found out that I loved coffee. The next day, she sent her daughter to bring me a bag of coffee. I was just so touched. I will definitely never forget her.

-Wiktoria

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Alisa, Mission Team Leader said...

Thanks for sharing your great story - What is "Mal De Ojo?" for a non-medical person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home