Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Heat & Hydration

Today was hot. Well, everyday is hot, but for some reason, today it really hit me. I think that I was verging on heat exhaustion. Acclimitizing to heat involves the expansion of blood plasma and extracellular fluid & increased rate of sweating, all in order to keep the body's core temperature cooler. An acclimatized person will require more fluids than someone who is non-acclimatized.

I have been drinking about 4 liters of water per day and still feelnig thirsty. I don't know what the tempurature outside is, but inside teh clinic, the galvanized corrugated steel roof radiates heat back down on us like a broiler oven. John says the roof is at least 130 degrees, and during this trip, insuluting reflective sheets were installed on most of the clinic building. The sheets were donated by a company that has a distributer here in Honduras in San Pedro Sula.

This morning, we ran out of water. We have been using the large 5 gallon "water cooler" jugs and have gone through at least a dozen of them. I began to conserve the water I had left, and by noon, had had less than a liter. I felt hot. The air was sticky and not moving at all. I started to get sleepy, I couldn't concentrate, I had to go somewhere else for a break.

I found myself sitting in a chair in front of the open door to the men's sleeping area. A hot breeze cooled my skin and made it tingle all over. In front of me was a small concrete porch, cinder block latrines to the right, the satellite dish to the left, and the red dirt just beyond the concrete porch. Beyond was a brand new chain link fence the men are building and just beyond that, the neighbors "yard" with a single coffee tree that had many ripe berries. Three chickens grazed among the grasses growing there. As I cooled off a little, another three chickens came walking by right in front of me from behind the latrines. I got up from my chair and chased them back and forth two or three times in a comical fashion until they had all squeaked underneath the new fence.

I had cooled off a bit, went back to clinic, finished my water. About an hour later, we were treated to a long thunder & lightening storm. Clinic finished early, and I got out a soccer ball for our first game with the kids. It poured down rain and we slipped and slid all over the muddy red field in front of the clinic. We got so muddy that we just showered with our clothes on.

-Suzanne Atkinson

4 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What prompts my comment is not the techicalities of heat exhaustion -- impressive and interesting as they may be -- but rather the word, "treated".
It was used in the the context of, "...we were treated to a storm..." Not everyone would think of that as a treat. I always have thought that these natural events were a joy to see and feel, and I guess that somehow it was passed on to my kids.

Love it all. Sue's Dad

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You described your surroundings so well that I could see a picture in my mind. Was the rain water used for drinking?

The blogspot has been a wonderful means of feeling that you all are not so far away from us at home. Good job!

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Greg Bruns said...

Sue I am very siseptable to heat exhaustion too and have found that if I take my shower in the afternoon it helps me cool off.

If you want a good story on heat stroke just ask Diane or Mark about me.

Greg Bruns

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡Increíble! Tu descripción del calor y el ambiente me hace sentir como yo tenía calor y sed. Cuando yo necesito beber mucho agua cuando estoy aclamandome a un ambiente nueva o durante una corrida large en la bici también como un poco de algo salado con el agua o entre el agua y por alguna razón me siento como el agua me satisfecha más. Cómo eres una doctora probablamente sabes exacatamente porque ¿no? Te echo de menos. Mi primera corrida de bicicleta era un disastre en Virginia. Pero lo terminé y 30 por ciento de los demás, no. Pues, sentí un poco mejor, pero yo tenía la motocicleta detrás de mi al fin por la primera vez en mi vida. ¡Qué verguenza! 6 horas y 20 minutos del infierno. ¡Ay de mi! Paz, H
¿Cómo es tu español?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home